Adobe 8 won't download

Scribbler 14:24 20 Feb 08

I've been having some problems with Adobe Reader 7.0.5 ("a known problem with Internet Explorer") so tried to download Adobe 8. It didn't work so I deleted 7.0.5 and tried again. Still won't download ("problem caused by gp.ocx", which I think is Adobe 8). Any ideas?
My OS is Vista Home Premium.

john bunyan 16:41 20 Feb 08

Some time ago there was an article on the Adobe website : ID:kb40064. You had to remove 7.0.5 from the registry manually before installing version 8 - a simple delete does not work.. (Back up first!!) It worked for me . Also I have heard of Zone Alarm not liking the download.

hiwatt 16:49 20 Feb 08

You could give foxit a try.It's a good pdf reader and a lot lighter on resources than adobe.click here

Scribbler 17:28 20 Feb 08

Thanks, John. How do I delete manually?
Thanks, also hiwatt.

Picklefactory 18:17 20 Feb 08

I agree with hiwatt, Foxit seems just as good to me, and I find it loads faster to load than Adobe, they also supply a shareware pdf editor, it's full function with unlimited time, only proviso with unregistered is it automatically adds a small advertising label to every sheet.

john bunyan 18:23 20 Feb 08

Scribbler.
Try to find the article ID: kb40064 on the Adobe website. Do a system restore first in case of a problem then you have to edit the registry by : Start; Run ; then type in : regedit.

Be very careful and follow Adobe's guide. Editing the registry is a risky business so do ensure you back up before starting !
Do let us know how you get on !

Scribbler 17:07 24 Feb 08

Many thanks, John. Have successfully deleted Adobe 7 and installed Adobe 8.
I looked at Foxit, but I didn't like the idea of having to sign up for some "free" offers first. I get enough junk mail as it is.

john bunyan 21:29 24 Feb 08

Scribbler. Glad it worked! Thanks for feedback.JB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…