"Administrators Permission Required"

tiberius 18:01 02 Jan 07

To listen to radio programmes I am required to download Real Player. All goes well with download until the when I am told that "administrators permission requied". I have no idea what to do about this - can anyone help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 02 Jan 07

How many users on your PC?

tiberius 18:23 02 Jan 07

Two - but only one is active.

GEEKSTA 21:46 02 Jan 07

if that message comes up on your account your acount type is set to limited.
A Computer admisistrator can change you acount type.
In your case the computer admisistrator would be the other acount.

tiberius 16:30 03 Jan 07

Many thanks - I am learning all the time. Now I am told "that you do not have administrators access to windows registry. Please see your administrator"

I am fast losing heart here as I am shown as sole administrator and have never with any download been asked this. Before I give up can you offer any further guidance.

GEEKSTA 17:19 05 Jan 07

Sorry I didnt understand your last two lines.

You said "Two - but only one is active", how come one is only active?
Doesnt the other one work?

To check what your acount type really is, Go to start>control panel>User acounts
Now if you see only one acount (your self) at the botton of that window, you have a Limited Acount type.
If you see 2 acount, yours and the other acount, you are a computer admisistrator.

If you are Limited and want to be a computer administrator, you have to go into the other acount and change your acount type from that acount only.

We can take more steps after we know what acount type you really are and if you want your acount to become a Admisistrator.

tiberius 21:11 06 Jan 07

Thank you so much for your interest. I now have two accounts both of which are designated "computer administrator. I stll cannot cpmplete download and continue to be told that administrater's permission is required.
How on earth do I obtain this?

Taff™ 08:01 07 Jan 07

Boot into safe mode and log in as Administrator. Create a new user account as a computer administrator and then boot normally. Use that account and see if the same happens.

tiberius 18:21 10 Jan 07

Many thanks for your help. I am so dumb that I have no idea what "safe mode" means but seem to have solved the problem by downloading Alternative Real Player.

Taff™ 22:15 10 Jan 07

Safe mode - When you reboot the computer tap the F8 key every second or two on boot up and you will get a screen that gives you the options to boot into "Safe Mode" (with various options).

click here for an essential guide.

tiberius 17:22 12 Jan 07

Thank you - I will know next time and yoyr help is appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…