Administrator unable to access programs ( virus )

buckeye 09:19 17 Sep 08

Administrator can't access programs on computer e.g. anything on C:drive due to a virus..(VIRUS ALERT shows when administrator logs in )which wasn't picked up by Virgin's PC Guard or spybot s & d..however the other 2 users ( wife & son ) are unaffected.and can work away no problem. There are 2 drives on computer C and F .. administrator can access F but cant access C..all icons relating to various progs like control panel,program files,command prompt etc have been erased from screen..in safe mode still the same..and it wont let you system restore in safe mode...anyone any ideas ???
Running XP pro SP3

Technotiger 09:33 17 Sep 08

Try a System Restore back to before this started.

buckeye 09:38 17 Sep 08

No System restore points beyond when administrators'problems began

rawprawn 10:04 17 Sep 08

Unless there are any better suggestions, I think a Repair XP may be the only solution. You would not lose data but you would have to reinstall SP3 unless your disc is SP3. Have a look here.
click here

brundle 10:05 17 Sep 08

Dump PCGuard; click here

Run Superantispyware, use the repair features after a complete scan; click here

brundle 10:07 17 Sep 08

For a command prompt, start task manager (ctrl shift + esc. select File/New Task, type

cmd

press return

For add/remove programs,type

appwiz.cpl

at the prompt.

Sysdm.cpl for system properties.

buckeye 10:22 17 Sep 08

taskmanager disabled by administrator !!!
also cant access command prompt....superantispyware is giving it a clean bill of health ???

provider 2 10:32 17 Sep 08

Anything to do with this?

click here

birdface 11:14 17 Sep 08

maybe get rid of Virgins PC Guard and install AVG and A Squared both free.Lots of different freebies out there those 2 given were only an example.Just wondering if you opened a new user account with administrator rights and delete the one that you have would that work.Virus Alert.Can you give us the name of the Virus Alert program.

birdface 11:21 17 Sep 08

Sorry about the late post.For some reason when on this forum it does not update the latest replies.And I have to press refresh all of the time.But must have forgot to do it this time.

buckeye 13:36 17 Sep 08

Done wot u suggested...opened a new account with rights..deleted other one...bingo..only thing is that.everything the administrator had has now been transferred to a single folder in his name..avg scan on same reveals all o.k. Everything seems to be back in order..by the way...the link provider 2 sent me froze my computer..twice...mmmm....cheers all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…