Administrator rights or not

swapper 18:13 10 Nov 09

Its been suggested to me that one way to avoid compromising your PC is to access the web for day today browsing as a limited access user, i.e not as an administrator.

As I am the only user of this pc (Jack the administrator), I should create another user (Bill) with administrator rights, and give myself limited rights (I think I have got that correct).

Any comments on this please?

MrNewName 18:20 10 Nov 09

Depends on your OS; more important is to be careful of the sites you visit and to have a good anti-virus program installed and updated and perhaps also an anti-malware program.

What you suggest will certainly help and will not cost anything.

swapper 07:04 11 Nov 09

Thanks MrNewName, I have WinxpPro on one pc, and the basic vista on another?
Although it was suggested that it was a good idea to do this, I was not told why?

gigagiggles 09:35 11 Nov 09

i think the analogy is this:

king/queen of the castle with a moat ringing it and one drawbridge and gate. if the king/queen were to greet and meet every visitor to the castle, eventually, harm will bedevil the king/queen. but if a representative, a sentry, were to have such duties, then with proper oversight, an alerted or fallen sentry will give the king/queen the warning to act accordingly.

swapper 23:58 31 Dec 09

gigagiggles, I think I got the jist of that, thanks :-)
I think I will leave things as they are.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…