Administrator rights - help please

topdog07 23:35 27 Jul 09

My 12 year old son has a Laptop running Vista Home Premium.

At first I created an 'administrator' account for myself and a 'standard user' account for my son so he could not download anything without my consent (or password).

I have since found out that his account has changed to an 'administrator's account'. this obviously lets him download and view anything he wants. He does not know how this has happened but I think one of his friends has done this for him.

The problem is that I cannot change his account back to a 'standard user account' even though I am in my account. It lets me put a dot in the box against 'standard account' but does not change it from 'administrator' after clicking ok.

I don't want to delete his account because of all the info he has stored over time.

Can anyone tell me a way around this problem?. I urgently need to change his account type to a 'standard user account' so he cannot download or run anything he should'nt.

Thanks in advance.

woodchip 23:46 27 Jul 09

I think you will find that Windows Updates as done this, you can click it and delete or remove it without hill effects

rdave13 00:07 28 Jul 09

In Vista all accounts run in 'standard mode' unless UAC permission is given. These little blighter's have found a way of err upsetting the norm.
Save all his documents, ie., music, videos and important documents, emails, passwords and delete the account.
Create a new one and from now on have the PC or Laptop downstairs where you or your better half are always around. For a 12 year old to have private access to a PC is a definite no-no in my humble opinion.
Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos