administrator rights

mcdicken 02:09 16 Oct 04

In my user accounts i am logged in as a limited account,my printer has gone down, andi cannot uninstall it as i do not have administrator status, can anyone point me in the right direction, regards monty.running win xp pro sp1.

Barney 45 02:15 16 Oct 04

Have you tried setting up a new user account or changing your existing account through the control panel?

mcdicken 17:06 16 Oct 04

Barney thanks for your comments, i have tried to set up a new account,but everything i try to do on this pc, i keep getting a message saying you do not have administrator priviledges, i even went into

spikeychris 17:54 16 Oct 04

.....a space ship and abducted by aliens.....

mcdicken 03:28 17 Oct 04

to follow on the last post,i went into computer management, but was prevented from altering anything as i do not have administrator rights.The administrator heading has no name beside it.Someone suggested going into safe mode, will this help me to change my user accounts? if so how do i do this, in laymans terms please,i am still feeling my way around computers,relatively new.regards mcdicken.

hillybilly 06:02 17 Oct 04

If you start in safe mode you should be able to log on as administrator, if it was a standard installation , then it should not require a password.

Once you have logged on as administrator you can then go back through computer management and create a new account or change one.

If I were you I would go into control panal and then click on users (this will probably be easier for you) where you will be able to change your account user rights to "Admiistrator" Now if you shutdown and restart as normal, you should now have admin powers which let deal with your printer.

mcdicken 01:45 20 Oct 04

Many thanks for the kind information, my problem is now resolved, regards hillbilly for your comments which did the trick, it seems that my daughter decided to name herself as administrator,complete with personal password, no wonder i could not change anything, printer back in action again, thanks for your help out there. Kids eh, who would have them?, bless their little cotton socks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…