Administrator program and desktop settings

Phrixos 16:39 14 Dec 06

Hello.
Having just learned how unwise it is to operate winxp as an administrator, I have created a user account--but now I need to know how to take all my former settings from the admin account to the user account.

Advice?

Regards,
Phrixos

The Kestrel 17:06 14 Dec 06

Why do you not want to operate an administrator account? If you are the main user of the PC there shouldn't be a problem. It also means you can install software without going back to the administrator account from your user account. My present PC is nearly 4 years old, with Windows XP as my OS and I have never had any problems running as the administrator.

anskyber 17:18 14 Dec 06
  anskyber 17:20 14 Dec 06

Sorry and choose why you should not run as an administrator account under related topics.

The Kestrel 18:28 14 Dec 06

Thanks anskyber for the information. I guess I have been very lucky then, although I am fully loaded with antivirus, firewall and a multitude of spyware and malware detection and removal programs which I keep updated and run regularly.

I therefore guess I need the same answer as Phrixos, as I will need to transfer all my settings and data to a user account. Could this be done by making a new administrator account and then redesignating my 'old' administrator account as a user account?

anskyber 19:00 14 Dec 06

Yes. Obviously make sure you have the new user account as Administrator first!

anskyber 19:17 14 Dec 06

Having looked at the point, there are of course some downsides. Even some of the more basic things done to computers will require switching back to the Admin account and back again to the limited user account.

Some people find that a bit of a faff and rely on the security software which is now available. It's a personal balance between the extra security and convenience.

Phrixos 12:12 16 Dec 06

Just to bring this up again, can anyone out there tell me what I have to do to migrate my desktop from my admin account to my newly created user account?

ATB,
Phrixos

anskyber 12:40 16 Dec 06

The easiest way is to create a second Admin Account then downgrade the old Admin Account for daily use leaving the new Admin for downloads/adjustments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…