Administrator password on new computer

TimCDC 15:47 13 Feb 04

I've just taken delivery of a new laptop running XP pro. When I turned it on for the first time, I gave the computer a name, as requested, and a password. It all works fine and I've not been asked since then to enter that password (only the one for my own user account), but I'm wondering what this password-access lets me in to...to be honest, I'd like to take the password off in case I have forgotten it when the time comes to pass the laptop onto a colleague. (of course I could write it down, but that rather defeats the point!)
I'm hoping someone out there can help answer two questions:

1) When would I need to enter this password?
2) Is it possible to take it off?
Thanks!

The Dark Sage 15:55 13 Feb 04

You would need to enter this password to log in as the administrator account, rather than your own. You can remove it by logging in as administrator and changing the password to blank.

Indigo 1 15:55 13 Feb 04

Go to Control Panel/User Accounts/Change an Account then delete password and instead of entering a new one just press enter.

recap 16:01 13 Feb 04

The reason for an Adminstative password/account is to enable you to perform extra tasks that a normal account hold cannot peform e.g. Add/Remove Programs

TimCDC 16:02 13 Feb 04

Its not actually a password for my administator account within Windows, but is more likely to be related to the operating system beneath in the BIOS? I have pressed F2 at boot to get into setup and note that neither the primary nor the administrator password is enabled, so now I am wondering exactly what the password was for? I entered it at first switch on, when I was prompted to give the computer a name, and then a "friendly name" and then a password. After doing that, it launced XP for the first time.
Any ideas?

Indigo 1 16:04 13 Feb 04

Should have pointed out that following my method above, "enter" then becomes your password. It's easy to remember though.

TimCDC 10:48 16 Feb 04

huggyg sorted this one out for me, in a similar thread entitled, "Brand new computer asks for password on setup"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…