administrator password?

rickd 09:42 19 May 06

trying to reboot my PC from the recovery console, and its asking for the administrator password. So far as I remember, I've never set one (but it was set up over 2 years ago), and I've never had to enter one when I've made any chages on the PC or when I've logged on as administrator (e.g. in safe mode) I've tried simply hitting enter, but it won't except this. Is there a default XP uses??Is there anyway i can circumvent it or at least find out what it thinks my password is? I've tried all my usual passwords just in case I have gone senile....

Taff™ 09:58 19 May 06

Here`s a few things you could try click here

rickd 11:26 19 May 06

Ran the suggested password finder/changer and it worked an absolute treat, I can fully recommend it. However, it revealed that the administrator password is indeed, blank! So why won't it let me in?

Having searched the forum, I note that I'm not alone in having this problem (i.e. people who assumed they'd "forgot" passwords they never had, while they and others questioned their sanity)

Has anyone found a workaround?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:24 19 May 06

Reset password for Windows XP by hitting f8 at bootup, select safe mode, at logon, go to the admin account, hit enter, and the password is now reset.

or

Just press and hold "Ctrl" and "Alt" and press "Delete" twice while the Welcome Screen is displayed.

Type in "Administrator" as the username, and leave the password field blank

Monument 12:33 19 May 06

That does not reset the password, it lets you in if a password have never been set.

Taff™ 12:46 19 May 06

So you then basically type in a new password under the administrator password from Control Panel user accounts to force a change in the password.

Monument 12:48 19 May 06

Yes if you can access the Administrator account you can change all the passwords.

rickd 14:40 19 May 06

All this is great if you can actually get into windows! The reason for me needing to use recovery is that I'm not in windows, and can't get my HD to boot to safe mode! I'm trying to get a ghost image file of my old system to boot from the HD.

Anyhow, I did some homework and it seems that XP can assign a secret temporary password on your behalf under certain circumstances (how very kind of it). Their advice is if this happens, go into windows and.... very helpful.

Looks like a reinstall awaits...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:43 19 May 06

Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…