Administrator password

coolio 17:00 18 Nov 03

Hi all,

bought a pc lately, a friend set it up. its running windows 2000. im currently set as an administrator of the machine when i logon under my account. however the administrator account also exists and i dont know the password for this, its not essential as i can administer the machine from my own account but its just really annoying me.

anyway for me to reset or find out the administrator password?

thanks.

hugh-265156 17:13 18 Nov 03

have you asked your friend what they set it as?

there may be a clue set up to remind you.

Jester2K II 17:16 18 Nov 03

The Administrator account and a "Computer Administrator" account are NOT the same. The true Administrator account has more power.

Surely your friend knows the password??

coolio 17:18 18 Nov 03

that was my first port of call,
he's forgotten, he thought it was obvious at the time, ........idiot

Jester2K II 17:20 18 Nov 03

You wouldn't believe the number of times i heard people say "i've forgotten the password" or "i've never had a password, ever"!!!!

coolio 17:20 18 Nov 03

didnt know that jester,
now i definitely want to know.

Jester2K II 17:20 18 Nov 03

Have you tried "obvious" or is that too obvious ?

BarryKeith 17:21 18 Nov 03

Did your friend actually put a password or just leave it empty? If he left it empty you can just press the enter key to get in.

Cretin07 17:24 18 Nov 03

hi canjust jump in here. im the true administrator for my xp pc and jester you said it has more power. how much more i would like to know. thanks anyone.

coolio 17:25 18 Nov 03

i've tried blank,admin,administrator,my name,nickname,birthdays you name it.

he said something about a SAM file, to delete it.
i have to be sure before i do anything that drastic

Cretin07 17:27 18 Nov 03

yes, the .SAM files contain all the passwords. Dont ask me how to find it though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…