Administrator only in windows update

radi8or 19:24 03 Nov 03

Hi people,
tried to access windows update but all I get is a screen saying Administrator only,while this screen
is showing a grey box flashes on screen too fast to read what it says.
Have tried windows update troubleshooter fixes but still get same problem.

OS is XP Home

Any advice gratefully received

regards Bob

JIM 19:32 03 Nov 03

See if this helps.

click here;en;316524

JIM 19:35 03 Nov 03

close the space between http: // copy and paste
to address bar.

http: //support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en;316524

radi8or 19:56 03 Nov 03

Hi JIM,
Thanks for response but thats the same fixes that are in update troubleshooter and have tried all them as well as turning off firewall(zone alarm pro).

If you have any other ideas I'm all ears.

regards Bob

JIM 20:15 03 Nov 03

Just a thought,create another user,with full Administrator rights,then try the windows updates using the new user.

radi8or 20:21 03 Nov 03

JIM,
Errrr would you mind talking me through that m8

regards Bob

JIM 20:29 03 Nov 03

Sorry,go to start help and support,type in (create new account) and it will look like this. all your doing is adding a new user name to to system (Clicking on Computer administrator ) for you to try out the windows updates ,to see if you still have the problem.

Unless you already have a other user name onyour system.

To add a new user to the computer
You must have a computer administrator account to add a new user to the computer.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
Under Pick a task, click Create a new account.
Type a name for the new user account, and click Next.
Click either Computer administrator or Limited, depending on the type of account you want to assign to the new user, and then click Create Account.
If you see an account named Owner, rename that account with a user's name. The Owner account, with computer administrator privileges, is created during installation if no user accounts are set up at that time.

Notes

To open User Accounts, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
The name you assign to the new account is the name that will appear on the Welcome screen and the Start menu.
The first user you add to the computer must be assigned the computer administrator account.
For more information about user accounts, click Related Topics.

radi8or 21:07 03 Nov 03

Hi JIM,

Created new user as suggested but came up same, Administrator Only. Sorry mate thought this was going to be something simple.

Have auto update disabled at the moment maybe if I
enable and see if it updates anything in the next few days.

unless you have any other ideas?

regards Bob

JIM 21:25 03 Nov 03

pity, will have a re-think and post later.

Dont worry about other user,i have two but if you want rid of,you just reverse. I find it handy to fall back on.

You do have the windows service pack installed?

In the mean time check out your winxp systems files by,going to the Start,click on run,type in sfc /scannow

"as shown with space", put your winxp or supplied winxp recovery disk in drive,and click ok.to run the check. Will take ten/15 mins or so to complete.Take out disk reboot and try the updates again after.

Keep you busy and will also knock an other item of the list.Have a cuppa while you wait:)

radi8or 21:44 03 Nov 03

JIM,
will leave new user for now as you say might come in handy.
system is home built and have retail xp disc + service pack.
Unfortunately have a 3.0am start for work will
run scannow after work tomorrow and let you know,
if thats ok with you.
As I said thought it was going to be a quick fix.

Anyway thanks again for your help

regards Bob

JIM 22:04 03 Nov 03

No problem,if you log on before i next post let me know, if you have ever been able to use windows updates?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…