Administrator accoun

sloan_5 06:25 09 Mar 05

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions to help me out with a new problem I'm having on my laptop (which I've owned and messed about with for more than a year already).

I've never had a problem changing stuff around on my laptop before, but suddenly

a) Windows Update tells me it can't add anything because I'm not an Administrator
b) on investigating, I find my normal login is not part of the Adminstrator group
c) whatever I try as a password for the Adminstrator account to help me make changes isn't working

Help! Is there a way out of this short of reinstalling everything, which I am extremely loth to do??

sloan_5 06:28 09 Mar 05

Oh...on my previous plea for help, I'm running Windows XP SP2 (SP2 added in the days when I was still able to make changes on my laptop programs)

Diodorus Siculus 08:01 09 Mar 05

click here
Forgot the Administrator's Password?

sloan_5 12:04 17 Mar 05

Diodorus -- the site was helpful, and it had a link to a program that might solve my problem, although I hadn't had the time or the equipment (I had to go find a floppy drive) to fix things up to now. But now your link isn't connecting anywhere anymore...help!!

VoG II 12:07 17 Mar 05

Link works for me.

sloan_5 12:13 17 Mar 05

Can I fix things by going into the Registry Editor and monkeying around with the SAM file?? (currently I'md seeing Default, value not set in the Data column)

sloan_5 12:16 17 Mar 05

On the link I'm getting Page Cannot be Displayed, page is currently unavailable.

The URL seems to be for a page hosted in Israel??

sloan_5 12:18 17 Mar 05

VoG

If the link works for you, can you go into the page and find the link to a program promising to fix the problem, and tell me what that URL is??

VoG II 12:22 17 Mar 05

How can I gain access to a Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 computer if I forgot the administrator's password? How can I reset the administrator's password if I forgot it?Featured Product:

Windows XP/2000/NT Key - Easy to use utility to reset Windows 2003/XP/2K/NT local and domain controller administrator passwords. Download FREE version now!

Ok, so you say you forgot your Windows administrator's password, huh? Oh well, it doesn't really matter if you did or you just say you did. The fact is that you need to gain access to a computer and you cannot "remember" the administrator's password.

How can you get out of this situation without formatting and re-installing the operating system?

One method of gaining access to the system is by trying hard to remember the forgotten password, or a password of another user which has the same level of administrative rights. However I don't think this approach will help you, otherwise you wouldn't be sitting here reading article, would you?)

Another method is by trying to restore a backed up System State (in Windows 2000/XP/2003) or a ERD (in NT 4.0) in which you do remember the password. The problem with doing so is that you'll probably lose all of the recently add users and groups, and all the changed passwords for all of your users since the last backup was made.

A third method might be to install a parallel operating system on a different partition on the same computer, then use a simple trick to gain access to the old system. Read more about it on my Forgot the Administrator's Password? - Alternate Logon Trick article.

Note: If you are looking for password cracking tools that can be used for miscellaneous objectives such as password-protected PDF documents, zipped archives, Office documents, BIOS protection and so on then this pages is NOT for you. See some links at the bottom of this page for hints on where to find such tools, but I can tell you right away that Google might be a better choice for you.

The fourth option is by using 3rd party tools that will enable you to reset the lost password and logon with a blank password.

Update: You can also discuss these topics on the dedicated Forgot Admin Password - Related Discussions forum.

Here are some of these tools:

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

VoG II 12:23 17 Mar 05

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (v050303)
Petter Nordahl-Hagen has written a Windows NT/2000/XP offline password editor:

click here

This is a utility to (re)set the password of any user that has a valid (local) account on your Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 system, by modifying the encrypted password in the registry's SAM file.

You do not need to know the old password to set a new one.

It works offline, that is, you have to shutdown your computer and boot off a floppy disk or CD. The boot-disk includes stuff to access NTFS partitions and scripts to glue the whole thing together.

Works with syskey (no need to turn it off, but you can if you have lost the key)

Will detect and offer to unlock locked or disabled out user accounts!

Caution: If used on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is XP or later service packs on W2K, all encrypted files for that user will be UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password again!

click here

sloan_5 12:26 17 Mar 05

crap -- I have Windows XP SP2 -- so it looks like I better not use this

Caution: If used on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is XP or later service packs on W2K, all encrypted files for that user will be UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac