Admin tools disappeared

E 23:44 31 Jul 03

can anyone advise me with a problem on xp professional (SP1).
My admin tools seem to have disappeared. The option to select is still there, but inside this folder there are only two shortcuts to diagnitic tools for my modem. This happened on win 2k when I had it. I have managed to get into the event viewer through the windows folder 'system32' and the only thing which seems amiss is the following error message.

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at click here.

any ideas.

Lozzy 00:42 01 Aug 03

My suggestion would be to run SFC.. To run this click start>>run then type sfc /scannow (note the space between the C and /) That will restore any missing or corrupted files..

temp003 09:12 01 Aug 03

If Lozzy's suggestion doesn't work, check the permissions for access to the Administrative Tools folder for your user account. The current settings may have hidden the icons from view for your user account (even though all the consoles can still be run by double clicking the file, or from Start Run).

Log in as Administrator. I'm not familiar with XP Pro's interfaces, but it should be something like this. In My Computer, navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ Start Menu\ Programs. Double click Programs.

Right click Administrative Tools, select Properties, Security tab. For Permissions, select/highlight the relevant user group or account, and allow access to Full Control, and possibly anything else. click OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…