Address book hijack??

muddypaws 19:47 20 Jan 12
Answered

I have had three emails from different people with the subject heading 'Check this' and content says 'Click here to see attached video'. Enquiries indicate that they originate from a relative's address book. Is this a known scam.? No specific details on Google. Thanks.

Taff™ 09:48 21 Jan 12

Sounds as if the relative's address book has indeed been compromised. Is this address book online? eg Hotmail or Googlemail The other two would probably be in that original address book or vice versa.

If that is the case I suggest that the account password is immediately changed to a more secure one. If the addresses have been harvested there's nothing you can do further as far as I am aware. They will already be in the hands of other spammers.

If the address book is located on their computer, either a Windows Address Book or similar, then that persons computer needs to be thoroughly checked for viruses and malware.

Secret-Squirrel 10:07 21 Jan 12

Muddypaws, there's a lot of this around at the moment. All the occurrences I've seen have affected Hotmail users who have had their accounts hacked into. Once the hacker is in, they have access to the user's contacts list.

All your friends can do is to change their Hotmail password. In future they need to be careful with the links they click on and be very careful where they enter those details as some webpages look genuine but are actually phishing sites which harvest Hotmail details.

iscanut 10:10 21 Jan 12

I have had a spate of these within last week. Got so bad that Hotmail closed me down temporarily and had to reset my password. One thing that might work is to create a fictitious address in your address book so that it is top of the list such as [email protected] This may stop all the other genuine ones from being compromised.

Secret-Squirrel 10:13 21 Jan 12

Forgot to mention, you need to delete those three e-mails. Whatever you do, don't click on the link in the e-mails!

muddypaws 11:28 21 Jan 12

To all: It is a hotmail account. I did click on the first link, but it appeared dead as nothing happened. Needless to say I haven't clicked on further ones ( about six in all so far). I will pass on your info to her. Thaks for help.

iscanut 13:14 21 Jan 12

Clicking on the link will generate the nasty that will attach to address book and send the email to all. As Secret-Squirrel says, DO NOT click on the links or even open email. Just delete.

muddypaws 18:36 21 Jan 12

Problem traced and passwords changed. Will resolve in a day or so if all OK. Thanks.

Woolwell 19:17 21 Jan 12

It's not only hotmail but also live addresses. I received a click on video this afternoon.

muddypaws 09:32 25 Jan 12
Answer

Problem appears solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5