address book and favourites

bpzoom 11:32 12 Jan 11

Following a complete wipe clean of my hard drive and a restore of XPHome, I will need to restore my address book and favourites. The favourites were converted into Google Chrome bookmarks on the old system and I have saved that file to a plug in flash disk. If I do not reinstall Google Chrome after the system restore, can the Google Chrome bookmarks be converted back to favourites ?
Secondly, I have saved my address book on to the flash disk but I do not understand why there are two files saved. One is just called Address Book and the other is the .WAB file. Which is the one used to restore to Outlook Express please?

Batch 12:21 12 Jan 11

Assuming you are using Outlook Express, if, in OE, you go to Tools, Address Book (which should then open up an Address Book window). Then in the Address Book window, go to Help, About Address Book, it will show you the location of where the address book is stored and the name of the address book (e.g. username.wab).

If you close Address Book and OE, you can then replace the (presumably) empty .wab file with the one you have on your flash drive. I suggest you rename the existing.wab rather than delete it and then copy across the one from your flash drive. If you then open up Address Book, you should see all your address info.

bpzoom 17:14 12 Jan 11

Sorry I gave the impression I have already wiped the disk. I am preparing the way for it. No, I don't use Outlook Express as a separate entity, but maybe BT Yahoo Mail utilises it. Put it this way, the existing .wab files on my machine are years old address books. I have now gone into BT Yahoo Mail and created a .csv file of the current address book in Excel on the flash drive which I hope can be imported back in after restore. ( I have no idea where Yahoo Chrome comes into all this, I wish I knew). My current problem is how do I save all the essential email messages I do not want to lose going back 3 years which I have progressively moved from the inbox into another email folder? I don't know where these email folders live on the system. There are 234 messages I want to keep. Printing them seems the hard way out. Any advice would be appreciated.

lotvic 01:22 13 Jan 11

C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

click here
In Windows XP, the Outlook Express user files, including *.wab and *.dbx files, are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under
Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5