Add/Remove programs problem

ShanghaiDave 09:45 01 May 04

When ever I click on the add/remove programs option from the control panel in windows xp home edition a message pops up saying:

(title) Parser Message
Value creation failed " at line 472

There is only one option which is to click ok and by doing so just takes you back to the control panel and this error occours everytime I try to open add/remove programs. My notebook is very new and the add/remove worked previously so I'm guessing that a piece of software I have installed somewhere a long the line has caused the probelm. Does anyone have an idea of a possible fix. Thanks in advance.

Diodorus Siculus 09:48 01 May 04

Try the system file checker:

start

run

sfc /scannow

You will need your OS CD.

ShanghaiDave 09:52 01 May 04

XP came preinstalled on my notebook and there wasn't a os disc in the package. Just a sony vaio recovery pack which puts everything back to factory default if the worst comes to the worst, which I do not want to do for such a small problem like this.

ShanghaiDave 10:13 01 May 04

Just tried what you suggested and it scanned my pc but no errors came up and it just closed after it had finished scanning with no prompts to insert a cd or anything. The problem still occours however.

Diodorus Siculus 10:17 01 May 04

click here
Try a repair of IE; it is closely bound up with Windows and many components, scripting tools etc are shared.

Smiler 10:22 01 May 04

did you download regseeker release 1.05rce from click here as there is a fix for it on the page.

Diodorus Siculus 10:26 01 May 04

click here

Fixing the dreaded "Parser Message: Value creation failed " at line 472" error. This is a problem with the file shellstyle.dll, which is included in most visual styles. Use the following steps to fix the problem: 1.) Go to your /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes directory, or wherever you may have your themes located.
2.) Go into the directory of the theme your currently using.
Example: Using 'Semplice' by KoL? Navigate to /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes/Semplice
3.) Go into the folder called 'Shell" within the previous directory.
4.) Inside you'll find a folder with a file called 'shellstyle.dll' inside. Now remember the name of the theme your using? (Example: Semplice). You need to rename this folder from Shell to the name of the theme your currently using. If you don't know the exact name, go to Display Properties, and try to Display/Show the theme, the name you see in Display Properties is the name you need to change the 'Shell' folder to.
Example: Using Semplice as an example, the Shell folder for that theme is called 'Shell', in this situation you'll need to rename the folder to 'Semplice'. Easy enough, right?
Note that for multi-part themes, aka themes with more than one variation or color, you'll need to rename each corresponding 'Shell' folder to what is displayed in Display Properties when you try to apply the theme.
5.) Now that you've changed the 'Shell' folder name to correspond with the visual styles name, reapply the theme.
6.) Go to Add/Remove Programs, and voila!

ShanghaiDave 10:38 01 May 04

@Diodorus Siculus

Thanks the theme thing worked. It must have been style xp which caused the problem then. But by changing the name to the same name as the theme has fixed the problem and I can now get into my add/remove programs section again. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…