Add/Remove programs

I have WinXP Home and until recently when I accessed Control Panel > Add/Remove programs I was shown a list of some 20+ programs installed on my machine.Now that list has been reduced to half and I don`t know why.
Admittedly I have uninstalled a couple of programs but there are others I wish to remove which do not have their own uninstall facility and don`t show in Add/Remove either so I am rather at a loss as to how to get rid.
Any suggestions as to how to recover the full list of programs would be very welcome.

tullie 19:16 01 Jan 10

Try Revo Uninstaller.

tullie 19:17 01 Jan 10

Try Revo Uninstaller.

Strawballs 19:17 01 Jan 10

That's clever an answer before the question

tullie 19:18 01 Jan 10

See i too am phychic

Sea Urchin 19:28 01 Jan 10

This could be white space syndrome - at the end of the programs listed in Add/Remove can you keep scrolling down (maybe quite a long way) where you may find the remaining programs? Let us know if that is the case.

Technotiger 19:31 01 Jan 10

I lent tullie my Crystal Ball .... LoL

No white space syndrome Sea Urchin as there isn`t a scroll bar so no scrolling posible.

peter99co 22:37 01 Jan 10

I used CCleaner to see my list of software and uninstalled using that.

Sea Urchin 23:48 01 Jan 10

Look in the registry - as always do a backup before changing anything

Go to Start/Run/type in Regedit and OK and then navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Expand Uninstall - and you will see a list of codes for all the programs in the left pane. Highlight the first one, and in the right pane check that you have a listing for DisplayName. If so highlight the next one in the left pane and so on.

If however any of them have a listing for QuietDisplayName they will not be showing in Add/Remove Programs. To correct this right-click on QuietDisplayName and select Rename: Remove Quiet so it will read: DisplayName. Work your way though the list and check them all. Then close Regedit.

No reboot or refresh is needed. Open Add or Remove Programs - the listing should now show those missing programs.

Of course if they all say DisplayName already then this doesn't help you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…