Add/Remove problems

john bunyan 18:14 31 Jan 09

Xp Pro. Recent additions: .Net Framework 3.5 update. Re installed Photoshop CS4 after false trojan in AVG on 26th. Another item also removed: "C:\System Volume Information\_restore{CF5485CB-76BA-494C-A2CA-E29D1FBA41CC}\RP225\A0081173.exe";"Trojan horse Crypt.CFR";"Moved to Virus Vault"
Now, when I go to Control panel / Add Remove programmes. I do not get the option to Add / Remove except on the newly installed CS4. Roxio Creator 2009 woll not launch - just a Roxio splash . Also Enentviewer repots problems with Roxio Cineplayer. All was ok quite recently. Restore point did not help. Is there a SCANNOW or some such?

john bunyan 18:17 31 Jan 09

NB Ran Superantispyware and AVG 8 (daily) - no probs.

john bunyan 19:06 31 Jan 09

Any views? - All the various MS updates etc are there , as are the programmes, but very few offer the option to "Change / Remove" when you highlight them. I was considering (Yet another) Clean re install of Roxio Creator 2009, it seems very prone to bugs.Is there a quick way of curing this as most things are running well and a clean reinstall would be a pain (updates etc, and I have the MCE edition of XP Pro)

john bunyan 22:26 31 Jan 09

Tried run: scannow. Did not work . What is the right syntax for XP Pro?

MAJ 22:29 31 Jan 09

"What is the right syntax for XP Pro"

Start > Run, type:

SFC /SCANNOW

click OK.

Quiet Life 22:40 31 Jan 09

ccleaner click here is a good registry cleaner and also under tools has a remove programs facility.

john bunyan 14:08 01 Feb 09

MAJ. When I try to run SFC /SCANNOW, there is a glimpse of a black square about 4 inches by 3 but it dissapears in a flash. What happens next - does this process take a long time?

brundle 14:11 01 Feb 09

Open a command prompt first, then type SFC /scannow there. That way you'll see the error message.

or type

cmd SFC /scannow /k

at Start > Run, to force the window opened by the command to remain open.

tullie 14:12 01 Feb 09

Did you leave a space between C an the /?

brundle 14:12 01 Feb 09

Sorry, ignore the last two lines, wrong format..

brundle 14:13 01 Feb 09

Open a command prompt first, then type SFC /scannow there. That way you'll see the error message.

or type

cmd SFC /scannow /k

at Start > Run, to force the window opened by the command to remain open.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…