Additional USB Ports

feb 13:07 23 Aug 04

I've got a GE PRO-HT Motherboard, which has 4 default USB ports and supports 2 additional ports via a USB Header. The 2 extra ports are connected to the Header but are not working. Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:23 23 Aug 04

There is often dispute as to how the header pins are wired on motherboards.

Check your manual see if this tells you the pin layout.

To match with the pin assignments of a port header, wires can be shifted and repositioned within the connector. In some cases, you need to change the connector to suit the layout of the header. Use the tip of a blade and slide it in from the side of the plastic lock. Move in the blade horizontally at the bottom of the plastic lock to release the lock from the terminal. Then, pull out the wire. Insert the wires back into the connector at appropriate positions to match with the pin assignments of the motherboard header.

On most motherboards, the USB header/pin-out consists of 9 pins arranged in 2 rows; and each header allows for 2 USB connections (i.e. USB1 and USB2). Normally, the pins for USB1 and USB2 are in seperate rows.

Red: + 5V / Voltage + / VCC . .
White: USB - / Data - / D - . .
Green: USB + / Data + / D + . .
Black: GND / Voltage - / Ground . .
Black: S-GND / Over Current .

2X5 PINS HEADER
a 2x5 pins header has 2 S-GND pins. You can leave one of the S-GND pins unconnected. Please make sure that the color coded wires are connected to the correct pins. You might have to rearrange the wires if necessary.

2X4 PINS HEADER
a 2x4 pins header has no S-GND pin. You can leave the S-GND wire unconnected. You might have to rearrange the wires if necessary, in such that the wire assignments and pins assignments are matched correctly

On some motherboards, the 4 active pins are not arranged in one same row.
Before shifting the wires, use a marker pen to mark the green and white wires located in the same row. It means that these 2 wires work as a pair. The other green and white wires (unmarked) work as another pair.
Connect the wires to the header in such that the marked green wire is connected to USB1+ pin and the marked white wire to USB1- pin. The remaining wires are connected to the other pins according to their assignments. The connection of S-GND wire is optional.

+5v .
+5v .

feb 13:29 23 Aug 04

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\, sounds good, I'll give it a go and let you know later.

feb 14:27 23 Aug 04

Hi again Fruit Bat /\0/\. A bit of confusion over the pins, if you click here and go to page 13 "USB header" you should find the manual that I'm looking at.

cga 14:38 23 Aug 04

Hi Feb

The update by Fruit Bat /\0/\ above is very comprehensive and I can not hope to match that but just to clarify:-

In your manual the upper pins are one USB (USB4) and the lower pins are the other (USB5)

The Signal are the Pn+ & Pn- pins.

Just dont mix up the Pwr with any other pins .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:00 23 Aug 04

The USB header/pin-out consists of 9 pins arranged in 2 rows; and each header allows for 2 USB connections (i.e. USB1 and USB2). The pins for USB1 and USB2 are in seperate rows. Top and bottom on page 13 of your manual.
Are your usb header plugs colour coded?
click here
click here

Top row left to right

No pin - S gnd (black shields thick if you have one)

- grd (black)

- usb1 data + (green)

- usb1 data - (white)

- usb1 power +5v (red)

Bottom row the sane for other USB port.

----

woodchip 15:10 23 Aug 04

If you get the wires on the wrong pins then you may blow a on motherboard fuse that cannot be repaired. The only way then is if you have spare PCI slot is to get a USB card. On the Header Pins the main pins are Pin 1 as the Red Wire and the last pin in the row as the Black negative wire if it's five pins the last two pins that's 4 & 5 are negative. the other row may have the pins reversed for number 5 or 6 that should have Red wire

feb 16:18 23 Aug 04

ok I'm back. Nothings ever easy is it! The wires from the usb sockets are different colours.... Top row GND=white, P+4=green, P4=black, USB PWR=blue. Bottom row Dummy=2 blacks [1 thick 1 thin], GND=white from top row GND, P+5=red, P-5=black from Dummy, USB PWR=red. Thanks for your help so far, hope this makes sense to you!

cga 20:19 23 Aug 04

I am not quite sure what you are describing. Is this how they are connected to the Mobo headers at the moment (not working). If it is then the colours dont seem to match up with the standards described by Fruit Bat /\0/\. In this case you can only go back to the USB ports themselves and see how the wires are connected there.

The reallity is that there are two separate circuits to consider. The Power/Ground are the device power that the usb provides. Either power can supply both ports and either ground can provide the return. The two power and two ground are only a convinience.

The other is the signal circuit. Here you need a separate + & - for each outlet port. It is also very important, as woodchip says, not to connect the power to one of the signal connectors.

Looking at what you have then it worries me that you have two reds - one connec ted to the power and one to a signal pin. However, this may have been connected wrongly at the USB port end so, all you can do is go back to that end and check the connections there.

feb 08:20 24 Aug 04

I'm finally on the right track.

The circuit board on the front of the pc has 2 usb and 1 firewire sockets, it seems that the person who fitted the mobo connected the firewire connector to the usb header and left the usb connector disconnected, so I've been looking at the wrong connector.

So the position of the wires at the connector is now,

top row left to right, blank, GND=thick black, P+4=blue, P-4=thin black, USBPWR=yellow.

bottom row, DUMMY=empty, GND=thick black, P+5=white, P-5=green, USBPWR=red.

I understand what your all saying but I have a blue, thin black and a yellow wire which seem to be, data and power respectively and with what woodchip is saying, I need to know if those 3 wires are in the right place! I hope this now makes a bit more sense?

cga 09:28 24 Aug 04

OK - I am not sure if your last post is quoting the connectors at the USB port end or the Mobo end but the upshot is this:-

It is good to stick to the correct colours to avoid confusion but, in reality, they dont matter at all. What is important is that the right pins on the USB port are connected to the correct pins on the mobo.

My guess is the bottom row is correct because that follows the colour conventions and I guess the thick black is the ground for both ports. So, try this, Whatever colour is in the equivalent position to the red on the USB port should be connected to the USB4 PWR on the Mobo ... and so on for the green & white.

I presume you can see what colours are connected where on the USB ports. Always the power should be at one end of 4 and the ground at the other. The middle 2 are the signal pair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5