Additional Rambus or new DDR Motherboard?

climb45 00:11 23 Dec 04

I have a Dell Dimension 8250 with 512Mb Rambus memory. I have been debating whether to increase the RAM to 1-1.5Gb at the extortionate price of £300-£500 or whether it would, in the long run, be more economical/sensible to spend that money on changing the motherboard to the Dell 8300 which accepts the much cheaper DDR memory. I do not use my PC for gaming or anything more than basic video editing. Does anybody have any advice to offer?

I had the same dilemma with my home PC.

Having repaired/ upgraded a number of machines I decided to bit the bullet and simply increase the RAMBUS memory - the time/cost of re-installing all my apps. on a new machine was not appealing.

12 months later and I'm still happy with that decision!

Diodorus Siculus 10:48 23 Dec 04

click here - have a look here. It may be worth your while getting a whole new case, mobo and so on. Changing Dell motherboards seems rather difficult.

Try one of the novatech bundles as an alternative.

Novatech Online Range of Motherboard Bundles
click here

climb45 23:04 02 Jan 05

I have done a little more research on the web and found reports from a number of people who have had problems with replacing motherboards in Dell machines. Also don't fancy time involved in reinstalling everything so have decided to go for additional RIMM. Good prices seem to be available from pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk. Does anybody know anything about this company - reliability, quality of products, after sales support, etc...?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…