//some 3rd party need geo

Additional Hard Drives

Newuser4165 17:57 08 Nov 03

Having just launched into the realms of DVD authoringI am considering adding an additional hard drive to my current system.Can anyone offer advice on which procedure would be best:-

Add an IDE hard drive as slave on primary ide channel.

Install a separate IDE controller card and add a new IDE hard drive to that.

Install a SATA controller card and connect a SATA hard drive to it.

My current system comprises :-
Asus A7V333 mobo with 512MB DDR RAM,Athlon 1.66GHz processor,Maxtor 80GB IDE hard drive partitioned C/D.Win XP is installed in "C". "D" is used for data storage.

I have read the current posts on "SATA".

Thanks in advance

Diodorus Siculus 19:56 08 Nov 03

What is on the secondary IDE channel? If there is a free space there, make the new hdd the master. If the primary and secondary IDE are in use, then move one of the optical drives to slave on the primary and add the new hdd to the secondary.

Thus:

IDE 1- hdd master / optical drive slave

IDE 2 - (new) hdd master / optical drive slave

My thinking is that it is better to have the two hdd on different drives.

flecc 21:06 08 Nov 03

No need for a separate PCI IDE card, just use the IDE 1 and 2 as Diodorus Siculus says.

The drive order has a range of opinions though.

If you are going to write directly from the ROM drive on IDE 1 to a ROM drive Writer on IDE 2, the layout that Diodorus Siculus suggests is best, but if you are not going to do that, I prefer the normal default layout that the computer industry usually uses, both hard drives on IDE 1 and both ROM drives together with the Writer as the master on IDE 2.

But as said, opinions vary and it's less critical with today's fast drives anyway.

I wouldn't bother with SATA drives at present. They're no faster at the moment and it's sensible to let others do the beta usage for you, then buy in the future when they'll be cheaper, reliable and much faster. Their present 150 mb/sec rate will rise to at least 300 mb/sec, and eventually to 500 mb/sec.

Newuser4165 09:42 09 Nov 03

Thanks for the replies.
I'll just get a new IDE hard drive (80 or 120GB) and put it as slave on Primary IDE.

The secondary channel is used by the DVD burner (LG4040B) and an older CD rewriter(LG8340)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…