Additional hard drive

Billawa 17:04 03 Feb 06

My main C drive is 250GB SATA. I also have a CD ROM and a DVD-RW drive. I have a spare internal 160GB ULTRA ATA/100 drive which I am thinking of adding. Questions - 1. Can I add it? The motherboard has two available EIDE sockets. 2. How do I configure this drive - master or slave and if so to what? 3. how will it interact with the C drive? 4. Will I then be able to use this added drive as another storage area for certain files and folders rather than have them on the C drive?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

PC Bilbo 17:29 03 Feb 06

Assuming you have DVD-RW and CD-ROM set up as master & slave respectively on secondary mobo IDE skt, connect your new IDE Hard Drive to mobo primary IDE with jumper set to master.

Once you have detected this in BIOS, you need to partition it and then you should be able to format using Windows Disk Management tool.

Gongoozler 17:40 03 Feb 06

PC Bilbo, surely you meant put the new drive on the primary with the link set to SLAVE, leaving the existing drive with Windows on it as MASTER.

PC Bilbo 18:16 03 Feb 06

Gongoozler - thanks for comment - as far as I am aware SATA drives do not have a master or slave setting but identify directly to the SATA 1 or 2 etc
connectors on mobo. I have always worked on the basis that unless you connect more than 1 device on an IDE socket, the jumper for a single device is set to master.

It will almost certainly be necessary to go into advanced bios settings and adjust so SATA drive is named SCSI and make this the fist bootable HDD and it should then boot into windows and the IDE drive will become HDD-0. The other drive should now be recognised and can be formatted and st up as a logical drive.

Gongoozler 19:06 03 Feb 06

Sorry PC Bilbo, I missed the SATA bit. My experience of SATA is zero, but I'm sure you're correct on that.

Billawa 10:03 04 Feb 06

PC Bilbo/Gongoozler - thanks for the info. I will go ahead and give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now