additional drive - 5th IDE device ????

kcb 20:38 09 May 04

I have installed an additional hard drive, device manager says it's working fine but my PC can not seem to 'see it'. I'm told that, by default, a PC will only see 4 IDE devices, this would be my 5th (HDD, CDR, DVD, floppy and new HDD) Is this correct? If so, is there a way around it or must I lose a device?
Kevin

Dan the Confused 20:43 09 May 04

Don't worry about the floppy drive. I think you just need to format your new HD.

BeForU 20:46 09 May 04

You must lose a device simply enough. Or you can get a PCI IDE card so that you can fit in more IDE devices.

I wouldnt really count the floppy since thats on a different area. The main channels are really the Primary and Secondary where it will only support 2 devices each, thus making the 4.

ton 20:46 09 May 04

Two Ide devices on each cable, should be no problem. Floppy is on another connection.

cream. 20:48 09 May 04

Your floppy drive is no counted as an IDE device. It has a separate connector on the motherboard.

If device manager is saying it is alright then you must be using either windows 2000 or XP.

Right click my computer and pick manage. Now scroll to disk management and double click it. Your drives will be displayed on the right of the screen. Pick your new drive and right click in the empty space. You will now have the tools to partition and format the drive.

Dan the Confused 20:50 09 May 04

Hav a look at click here

There seems to be a lot of information on IDE devices at: click here
Hopefully, you may find the answer there. Though the address is very long, I've tried it a couple of times and arrived at the same web pages each time.
Hope it helps.

kcb 21:13 09 May 04

Thanks all, particularly 'the village idiot' - great advice, the new drive is up and running well.
Kcb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…