Addition of left-handed mouse

henrymead 08:07 26 Nov 06

My son is left-handed and the rest of the family is right-handed. We would like to avoid having to change the mouse button settings every time my son wants to use the computer.
Please can you advise me if it is possible to have a second mouse attached to the computer box with the the buttons permanently set for a left-handed user. In this way we can have a mouse on the left of the keyboard for my son and another mouse on the right of the keyboard for the rest of the family. What attachments/fittings will we need to buy and from where? We already have a 'Y-mouse' Dual Mouse Port Adapter.
Thank you for reading this message.

€dstowe 08:37 26 Nov 06

I am left handed but I successfully use a mouse in the normal right handed manner.

This is a help to me because, being a graphic artist, I then use a Wacom graphics pad and stylus in my left hand.

Now, several models of Wacom pads come with their own mouse which you can set up independently of the conventional one. You can also use the stylus in a similar way to a mouse as well.

If you want to pursue this, I would strongly suggest the Wacom brand as other, cheap makes do not have the same facilities.

This is the sort of thing I mean click here

Not the cheapest but it will do what you want and give you a superb drawing tool as well.

VoG II 08:40 26 Nov 06

It is indeed possible to do this. Some time ago - as an experiment - I connected two USB mice, one connected to a USB port and the other via an adapter to a standard mouse port. They both functioned and did not appear to interfere with each other at all.

€dstowe 08:47 26 Nov 06

Could you arrange them to have different functionality?

VoG II 09:01 26 Nov 06

I didn't check thoroughly but one was an 'Office Mouse' with an extra button that brought up a small panel to click on to launch Word or Excel etc. That still worked, and the other's setting to assign double click to clicking the wheel still worked. I did not try setting them up as left- and right-handed.

The reason for doing this was that I bought my Office Mouse and installed it but my wife and daughter hated it. I therefore added back the old mouse for them to use. After about a week my enthusiasm for the Office Mouse waned and I unplugged it and returned it to its box where it is still languishing - somewhere.

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:23 26 Nov 06

I'm left handed, but the rest of the family are right handers. Consequently I've had to adjust to using a trackball mouse very much designed for right handers - no way could it be used left hand.
I soon got used to it and don't even consider it an issue now (unless someone like you posts about it and it reminds me how oppressed I've been ;) )

WhiteTruckMan 11:19 26 Nov 06

a usb mouse should also function at the same time. If you are a bit handy with the fiddly DiY you could try buying a cheap mouse, opening it up (check before you buy that there are screws underneath to do this and it isnt the type thats glued together) and simply swap the wires around for the 2 buttons.

Alternatively, create his own user profile with 'left handed' functionality of the mouse.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac