Adding ZoneAlarm to AVG protection

Carafaraday 14:47 26 Nov 05

I have installed AVG free and now want to add ZoneAlarm. Can anyone tell me whether there are any pitfalls in doing this? Should I disable Windows Firewall first? Should I turn off AVG while I install ZoneAlarm, for instance?
Any advice would be gratefully received. (PS I've just dumped Norton Internet Security which is why I'm coming new to AVG and ZoneAlarm).

kinger 14:51 26 Nov 05

I am using AVG while using Zonealarm even as we type.

No problems whatsoever.

Switch off Windows firewall, though.

phil46 14:51 26 Nov 05

I've never had a problem with this software.

i.tech 14:54 26 Nov 05

Seemed to work fine for me - I did try using ZoneAlarm and Avast which causes a problem unless you disable certain options, but AVG was fine.

Zebrapec 15:15 26 Nov 05

I've never had a problem running both of these for the last two - three years

spuds 15:41 26 Nov 05

Check that you have the latest version of ZoneAlarm. The latest one came out a week or so ago,believe version 6.1.737.000.

BarneyCGL 15:43 26 Nov 05

Hi Carafaraday

I'm thinking about doing exactly the same thing. Just wondering why you decided to ditch Norton Internet Security...

Stuartli 16:06 26 Nov 05

I've run ZA and AVG for several years, but earlier this year switched to Avast!

There were no complications with either setup although some earlier versions of Windows do occasionally require two AVG .exe files to be allowed access for e-mails in ZoneAlarm (one is, IIRC, avginet.exe but can't remember the second file name).

Carafaraday 16:51 26 Nov 05

I have given up on Norton as it was just about due to be renewed and I found their so called 'help' supremely unhelpful. It seemed to me that I was paying for something unnecessarily. AVG has worked well so far - easy to install from January's cover cd (and updated from net).

Carafaraday 16:52 26 Nov 05

Thanks, I'm running XP SP2 so shouldn't have any problem, I hope.

Carafaraday 16:52 26 Nov 05

Thank you everyone for your replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now