Adding Works laptop to existing home network

Alf58 15:03 29 Mar 08

I have a mixed network comprising of three Win Xp desktop computers linked by cable to a Speedtouch 585 Wireless router. In addition My partner has a laptop which connects wirelessly. All works fine with printer sharing and document sharing etc.

Today I was given a laptop by my company which is configured to work on the office network. It is part of a Domain. When I got it home I found it connected to my Speedtouch wirelessly with no problem and can access the internet. The problem is I cant get it to join my network which means it cannot be printed from or share documents. I have run the network wizard on it and also on my desktop which is the the one connected to the router for configuration purposes. Whatever happens it dcannot be seen on my desktop "my network places" and my network cannot be seen on the laptop. Not sure where to go next. Any ideas?

recap 21:36 29 Mar 08

I would enquire with your works to see if there are any restrictions for adding the laptop to a home network.

ambra4 13:09 30 Mar 08

You need to change the network ID and name from a domain to the network name of you network

Right click on My Computer-properties-click Computer Name Tab and you can change the computer name and network from a domain to your network workgroup

Alf58 16:34 04 Apr 08

Thanks for the reply. My concern is that if I change these settings will I disable my laptop on the works network Domain? I guess what I am saying is that is it possible to have to have two network profiles one for when I use my laptop at home and one for when it is at work.

ambra4 02:25 05 Apr 08

Yes you can have two difference profile

Set up the other profile your as your home work group

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced