Adding a wireless laptop to a wired network

GRADA69 11:49 12 Dec 10

As I am going to be laid up for 3 months I am going to need to use a laptop and connect to my wired network at home. How do I do this. All help greatfully received. Thank you

gengiscant 11:53 12 Dec 10

Really all you need is an Ethernet cable of whatever size you want.click here
Your router will already be set up so adding another connection is simplicity itself.

The cable is all I need if I am repairing someone else's PC/laptop.

GRADA69 15:08 21 Dec 10

Thanks gengistcant. Im going to be bedridden in another room, non weight bearing and I really need to be wireless to avoid the 5 - 10 metres of LAN cable from one room to another.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:25 21 Dec 10

What sort of router do you have now?
Are you on cable (virgin) or connect via the phone line (BT Orange etc.)?

T0SH 18:38 21 Dec 10

Perhaps you should Google search for "Wireless Access Point" with one of these plugged into your wired network you will have wireless access

Cheers HC

rdave13 19:01 21 Dec 10

As Fruit Bat /\0/\; do you have a modem/router or just a modem? If you have a modem/router then you will be able to set up a wireless connection.

GRADA69 22:14 21 Dec 10

Cheers Guys,

I have a Belkin 4 port Router F5D5231-4, a NETGEAR G5608v2 8 port Hub / Switch and an NTL 250 MODEM Model number: E08C007. Home this helps

rdave13 22:21 21 Dec 10

And your Internet Service Provider is?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:02 21 Dec 10

At a guess Virgin media(ex NTL)

Neither the Belkin or Netgear are wireless routers

Have a read here scroll down to the " What's involved in setting up a Wireless Cable Router?"

You'll also need a wireless card built into your laptop or a wireless card to plug into a PCMCIA port click here or a wireless usb dongle click here to send / receive the signal to from the router.

if you need a router and a wireless card/ dongle then buy a kit i.e. both router and dongle same make. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009