Adding Wireless to existing wired network.

Alf58 20:48 24 Dec 03

I've got a home network comprising of two laptops and two desktops all with LAN cards all connected to a hub. Three of the machines connect to the internet via one of the desktops using an internet gateway. In this months PC Advisor it suggests you can mix wireless networking with standard so you can for example, "surf the net using a laptop while sitting in your garden". How cool would that be? My question: what wireless kit would I require to set up one of the laptops to work on my existing network wirelessly? The laptops both run WIN XP Pro and were aquired recently so they have CPUs of more than 1 GHz and plenty of storage and memory.

LeadingMNMs 20:54 24 Dec 03

i use a mixture of wireless and wired but connect to the internet via a router that has both wired and wireless capabilities. i would think you would need a wireless PCMCIA card (or USB adapter), a wireless PCI NIC for the internet PC and maybe a wireless access point.

I have to point out I have not done what you want to do, and as such I am only giving suggestions, i don't really know.

Alf58 21:05 24 Dec 03

I was wondering if a Wireless access point(isnt it just a glorified receiver?) could just plug into my exiting hub and then I access it using a PCMCIA wireless Nic on the laptop. That would then allow me to access the net in the way I do at the moment without messing about with routers etc. Does this sound feasable or is there stuff I just dont understand like for example you cant just plug in a wireless access device to a conventional network hub?

LeadingMNMs 09:14 25 Dec 03

I'm not sure how you would connect a WAP but it seems that most have a ethernet port, so it's possible that it could just be plugged into the hub. But at the end of the day, I'm not sure. The network I created uses different hardware and was set up to allow wired and wireless communication. You simply want to add wireless capabilities to an existing wired network.

Someone on this forum has got to have done this. Please help.

Alf58 00:29 26 Dec 03

This sounds soooo easy. Surely it cant be that simple?

Alf58 14:37 26 Dec 03

No, dont be afraid....maybe just maybe..... Do you think the much advertised Belkin wireless stuff will serve my purpose?

Alf58 17:06 26 Dec 03

Thanks for all the good advice Bela and MNMs. I shall pay a visit to PC World and see what I can do. No doubt I'll be posting again sharing the hours of hassle I am sure must ensue but thanks for the moment and and all due seasons greetings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…