Adding Wireless

old&nojob 18:55 28 Mar 06

I have a netgear DG834G currently connected 100MB/s to an XPPro laptop and a Linux (old) PC. I backup from the laptop to the server.

I am trying to connect another XPHome laptop via its wireless. It seems to find the wireless link but I cannot ping the router 198.162.0.1. It sais 'not accessible'. I have setup the DG with the WPA key from the laptop generated sequence and am sure the other details are correct.

This single link is the only wireless bit of the network and am expecting the router to connect through to the XP laptop.Am I doing something wrong here?

ade.h 20:49 28 Mar 06

"I have setup the DG with the WPA key from the laptop generated sequence"

You'll have to explain that one to me! Proper procedure for connecting a wireless client is as follows:

Begin without any security protocol. Use XP's wireless LAN icon in the Notification Area to search for available networks (you'll need to refresh the list manually to achive that), choose your network by its SSID (which should already have been changed by you to something unique. Connect.

If it works fine, go to the properties of your wifi adapter (in the Net Conn folder) and check that your network has been listed and assigned an automatic connection. Delete any other networks in this list. Disconnect.

No move back to a PC that is wired to the router and enable WPA-PSK using a long key of your own choosing - mix letters, numbers and symbols. Write it down accurately. Apply and log out.

Move back to the wireless client; attempt to find your network using the previous method. When you try to connect, you will be asked for the key. Enter it and it will be saved for that connection.

Job done.

Thanks I will try this and report back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…