Adding Win98 SE Hard Disk to a New XP PC

dregn 18:02 15 Jul 04

My friend would like me to fit the HDD from her old ( 5years old ) computer ( Running Win98 SE ) to her new machine which has one HDD ( 160GB ) and is running Win XP Pro.

There is plenty of physical space in the case to fit the drive, but what are the OS implications ?

The drive in the new machine is NTFS formatted.

Advice is much appreciated.

denchris 18:07 15 Jul 04

None whatever, simply fit as slave then format and use.

dregn 18:21 15 Jul 04

denchris

Thanks for that. The problem is that my friend wishes to retain Win98 and all her programs and data on the old HDD. Presumably this would entail 'dual booting' issues of which I am ignorant.

GuyR 18:27 15 Jul 04

you may be lucky in that xp often recognises if there is another operating system fitted, and may on boot up ask if you want to run 98, I know when i had xp on second partition of a drice it did this.

Partition magic has program that allows dual boot system to be set up on different discs so may have to try that or look for utilities that could be down loaded from pc advisor site

denchris 18:30 15 Jul 04

It certainly would involve dual booting and you would not be able to run win 98 programs from the old disc as they would be incompatable with the new hardware ; do a search on the forum ` dual boot ` and you will find loads of help, it`s been covered many times . .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…