ADDING USB PORTS

RKMonty 15:44 05 Mar 09

I am thinking of adding 4 new USB ports to my desktop I would prefer to have them 'via a pci card'
On my pc I have both PCI connectors and a PCI Express connectors.....would there be any benefits on using one either one of these....
I am running Windows Vista.
Thanks

keef66 16:02 05 Mar 09

I added 4 usb2 ports to our ageing desktop by using a pci card. A lot faster than the 2 on the mobo which are only usb 1 speed.

No idea about pci-express cards

ambra4 16:08 05 Mar 09

You can have a wide choose of difference type of USB cards both for the front or the back of the

computer case. The type PCI or Express will make no difference

Internal USB 2.0 4-Port Hub for 3.5" & 5.25" Bays

This 4-port USB Hub is perfect for adding more USB Ports to your desktop/tower PC without the clutter of an external hub.

The unit is designed to support either 3.5" or 5.25" bays on the front of your PC.

click here

4-port USB 2.0 PCI-Express card

This card lets you connect up to four USB 2.0 peripherals and enjoy fast data transfer rates of up to 480 Mbits/sec.

Plus, backwards compatibility with USB 1.1 means you can continue using your older USB peripherals.

click here

Value 6 ports USB 2.0 PCI card

This card lets you connect up to six USB 2.0 peripherals, and enjoy fast data transfer rates of up to 480 Mbits/sec.

Plus, backwards compatibility with USB 1.1 means you can continue using your older USB peripherals.

click here

MAJ 16:19 05 Mar 09

You shouldn't notice any difference in using a PCI and using a PCI-E USB2.0 card as both lanes will allow a faster transfer rate than the maximum 480Mb/s USB2.0 allows.

I am Spartacus 16:24 05 Mar 09

Don't use a USB PCI-E card if you run a Crossfire or SLI configuration. It will take up the bandwidth required by the second graphics card and stop it working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos