adding two wireless connectionon 1 laptop

AllZwell 18:18 30 Nov 06

hello,

Is it possible to easily add my router set up to my neices lapop - so when she visits my house she can connect her laptop using my connection - (belikin) as well hers (netgear)? so in "network connections" my connection will be added to hers?

TIA

mgmcc 20:21 30 Nov 06

You don't need to add anything to her laptop for it to be able to connect to your router instead of hers. A router isn't installed in a PC, either as hardware or as software, it is a network device to which a computer connects.

To connect by ethernet cable, she would simply plug a cable between her laptop's RJ45 port and one of your router's LAN ports.

To connect "wirelessly", she would run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. She should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and should have internet access.

AllZwell 21:32 30 Nov 06

Thanks a lot mgmcc, very useful info there. Networking has never been my strongest point, but i'm slowly learning.

Thanks,

AW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…