Adding third hard drive using RAID ide connection.

acrobat270 17:14 26 Nov 03

On my motherboard I have 2 ata 100 connections. 1 has a dvd-rom and a dvd-rw drive on an ide cable. The second has 2 80GB hard drives (master and slave on an ide cable.

I currently also have a hard disk raid connection "one ide and two serial connectors controlled by promise 20736" empty. Can I connect a 120GB hard drive to this ide to give me a third hard drive to store my digital video and music creations? I understand this woulod have to be set as a master? Or does a RAID hard disk connection not operate this way?

philwane 17:51 26 Nov 03

I also have dvd-rom and a dvd-rw drive on one ide cable. The second has 2x20Gb hard drives (master and slave. I also have a 35Gb hard drive on SATA and a 120Gb hard drive on RAID.
Both the hard drives on SATA and RAID are used like ordinary IDE drives.

Rayuk 19:07 26 Nov 03

It would be better if you posted the make and model number of your motherboard,perhaps someone is already running one this way,or not.

acrobat270 19:40 26 Nov 03

Cheers Philwane, sounds promising. Thanks also Rayuk. The motherboard is:
MSI GNB Max-SR (MS-6565 v.2X); one of the MSI granite Bay series.
I have fitted 1024MB ram, P4 2.6 CPU with the current hard drives both Maxtor 80GB.
PC is running XP Pro.

i use a modded bios so that my raid connections can be used just as normal ide's , meaning that i can connect cd rom drives to it.

there is a forum that can help you with this if needs be , but i wont post the address of the forum unless requested as some of the things they do on the site can kill your motherboard if you dont know what your doing.

dazzling (work) 21:32 26 Nov 03

you need to install the raid driver or you wont be able to use them at all unless windows has any drivers.they just act like normal ide connectors until you set up a raid array which you dont have to.any problems post back darren.

acrobat270 18:53 27 Nov 03

Thanks Darren. Have the raid driver disk. You have confirmed what I thought was the case so I will give it a go. Many thanks all who replied. Will post results later to anyone reading this thread in future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…