Adding a third hard drive.

prodway 10:49 23 Jan 05

Hi,Is there a way i can add a third hard drive to my computer?My hdd IDE lead on has enough connectors for only 2 hard drives,iv been looking on maplin and they dont seem to do any sort of connector that will allow me to connect my third hard drive.Any ideas?Cheers.Paul.

LeadingMNMs 10:53 23 Jan 05

If the secondary IDE channel also has 2 devices connected on it then you'll probably need some sort of PCI card to give you more ports click here

If the secondary cable has a spare port then you can use that.

ACOLYTE 10:53 23 Jan 05

To do this you need a PCI IDE card in your pc.You can only have 2 drives on each cable,the IDE card lets you add more.

LeadingMNMs 10:57 23 Jan 05

Or alternatively go for an external hard disk.

prodway 11:03 23 Jan 05

Okay Thanks,Is there a specific type of card i need?i see the word RAID used alot whilst browsing on that link,Will anything cheap and cheerfull do?Thanks again for your very fast responses.Paul.

leo49 11:04 23 Jan 05

On LeadingMNMs's link, the

Innovision EIO DM-8401H Ata133 IDE Controller Card @ £14.34 Quickfind code: 59907

is excellent. I've installed it in several machines to do exactly what you want.It will enable you to add up to 4 more IDE devices.eg In this machine I'm typing on I have 5 HDDs[3 attached to the controller].

LeadingMNMs 11:07 23 Jan 05

I think that card will be fine, thats the one I looked at and it seems to have a lot of good reviews.

LeadingMNMs 11:10 23 Jan 05

You don't need to worry about RAID, though this explains it click here (hopefully).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…