Adding Text to Folder Window.

TonyW2 17:50 03 May 09

I would like to be able to add a text box, with an information message, to the window that is displayed when "My Documents" or "Shared Documents" folders are opened.
Any suggestions would be welcomed, thanks.

recap 20:16 03 May 09

Wouldn't right clicking and selecting 'rename' the folder do the trick?

TonyW2 20:29 03 May 09

Thanks, but no.
I am really trying to insert a small new page as a window over the existing open window that shows the available folders.

Marko797 13:40 04 May 09

I'm not clear what u want here.
When opening My Docs, would changing the View of files, to either List, or Details, be a solution?

OTT_Buzzard 14:17 04 May 09

Or possibly go to My Documents - View - Explorer Bar - Folders

TonyW2 16:01 04 May 09

Sorry, I am not making a good job of explaining!

Several users, of varying abilities, use the computer. When My Documents is opened, there are about 6 folders available and I want to put some text onto the free white space on the page, that would have information about the filing systems, etc, that we are operating.

OTT_Buzzard 16:08 04 May 09

I don't think what you want to do is possible without a custom written application.

Marko797 10:03 05 May 09

I don't get this at all.

Why would you want to see 'information about the filing systems, etc, that we are operating'.

If you want to provide that type of info, for example, file structure, and instructions on the structure, then why not put a Word document in there to provide that? You could pdf the above to protect it too.

Otherwise, if you choose list or details view, it will provide you, & the other users, with all the necessary information for each folder which u open.

Other than this, I can't think of another solution.

TonyW2 11:22 05 May 09

The reason for wishing to do this is because the PC will be used in some cases by people who have no IT skills at all,limited abilities, and would benefit from a LARGE message box, such as an absolutely basic message, eg "Click once on the folder to select it, then click twice to proceed" followed by subsequent guides on the next open folder window.
(Using a Read Me or Help folder would require knowledge of how to open it!--catch 22)

Marko797 11:56 05 May 09

If this is the case, then rather than trying to do what you want to do, which requires some basic knowledge of how to operate a PC in the first instance, and the ability to open documents and files in order to see your LARGE message box, why don't u provide basic PC training for these people to actually demonstrate what single and double clicking is, along with basic navigation?

If their current ability is as limited as you say, then why are u letting them get on the PC at all without such fundamental knowledge?

What you are trying to do is the equivalent of putting someone behind the wheel of a car, and saying "there's the instruction manual".

OTT_Buzzard 12:30 05 May 09

I'm getting the feeling that the PC is itself a training tool? Is that correct?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…