adding a slave harddisk

woofwoofbark 15:39 30 Aug 04

Hi There ... im asking if anyone can help , i aint the best when it comes to computer , i have it for keeping intouch with family/friends

but....

a few weeks ago my harddisk locked up on me and I had to clean the whole thing out coz i couldnt access windows or use the comp , anyway a mate gave me a small disk 3.24gb drive that I used till I fixed my original drive and have since put the 40gb back into my comp but my mate suggested that I add the 3.24 as a slave but for some reason when i added it windows will not load up even if i add the smaller drive on its own nothing happens now , it was working fine before and all i have done is replace it with my original drive ... is there anyway possible to access it and to get it running , i have windows xp that I loaded onto it but i want to scrub it and use it as a slave to save my programs onto and use the main for everyday usage

if this makes sence and anyone has any suggestions on what i can/could do , it'd be much appreciated

geo

BurrWalnut 15:53 30 Aug 04

Have you set the small disk to slave?

If not, on the back there are a 2 rows of little pins and the jumper has to connect to the 2 pins labelled as "slave".

woofwoofbark 15:59 30 Aug 04

I have connected the smaller drive to the aditional connection on the grey cable plus the second 4 pin plug but when I turn on my comp just before windows kicks in the screen goes blank and a whit mark top left flashes for a few seconds then the comp runs smoothly but when I add the second drive the comp sticks on that blank screen and white flashing mark ... so I just switch off and take out the pins and pull out the drive and switch the comp back on and everything goes fine then .. have I damaged the small drive or ??

BurrWalnut 16:16 30 Aug 04

The slave jumper is in addition to the 4-pin power cable and the ribbon connector. Look on the back of the drive for the rows of pins and an explanation label using phrases like Master, Slave and Cable Select, you need to position the jumper on the one labelled slave.

mulva42 18:28 30 Aug 04

What is the make & model number of your Hdd your wanting as a slave? here is a example of the settings on other hdds to give you an idea on what to look for.All are basically the same for hdds.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…