Adding a second IDE hard drive

Strangely Brown 09:03 24 Sep 03

I'm planning to add a new 120Gb hard disk to my system as a slave to the existing 40gb drive that was supplied. I just have a few questions.

1) As this will be a slave unit do I need to buy anything more than the OEM product? i.e. controller card, driver software etc.

2) I believe that the existing drive runs at 5400rpm. The new disk will run at 7200rpm. Will this cause compatibility issues?

3) Would it be better to make the new drive the primary one? This would, I assume, involve copying the contents of the existing drive (Operating system etc.) How easy is this to do?

Sorry if some of these questions appear a bit stupid but I can't afford to mess this up as my wife uses the system for her work much to my disdain!!!

Bodi 09:09 24 Sep 03

1) You will not have to purchase drivers etc. for the new drive. All you will need to do to set up as a slave drive, is to change the jumpers accordingly.

2) I can't see any compatibility issues with the drives.

3) Probably the new drive would be better as your primary drive, but if the original is working fine, why not leave things as they are?

I hope this helps

There will, of course, be others with different ideas.

Bodi

Switcher 09:11 24 Sep 03

1 No

2. No

3. (a)Yes

(b) Very easy by using Ghost

MAJ 09:12 24 Sep 03

1. No although depending on the ATA speed you might need to buy an 80-wire IDE cable if you don't already use one on the 40gig.

2. No

3. It depends what you want to do with the new drive, it's faster than the 40 gig so it will be slightly better at some things. But if you don't want to annoy the missus by potentially losing her stuff, stick it in as a slave.

MAJ 09:33 24 Sep 03

Just another point on your third option, it's a personal opinion, so I hope you don't mind, Strangely Brown. If it's (the 120gig) an IBM drive, I certainly would not move all the stuff from the 40gig and use the 120gig as the main drive, they (IBM drives) have a reputation for failing. If your 40gig is also an IBM, I would backup my stuff at the earliest oportunity.

As I said, Strangely Brown, just a personal opinion.

Strangely Brown 09:52 24 Sep 03

Cheers all. FYI, the original and extra drives are both Maxtor drives so hopefully I won't be hit by the 'IBM curse'!!

Closing this now. Thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017