//some 3rd party need geo

Adding a second hd

dth 15:04 15 Dec 03

Thinking about adding a second hd.

What would the drive letters be? Currently I have my hd split to C D & E - with CD drives as F G. Will the new drive go before or after CDs.

Second question. Would I simply partition the new drive using fdisk? If so is it the whole drive treated as an extended parition or would there be a primary partition and extended parition (with logical drives)

Thanks

BigMoFoT 15:23 15 Dec 03

Second HDD drive letter would be F - in terms of using fdisk that is always an option but if your running XP the disk management utility in the management console will be better as you can format a partition in NTFS

Diemmess 16:23 15 Dec 03

Depending on your needs and size of the second HD you can choose whether and how to partition it, or whether to keep it as one partition...

My personal approach would be to divide the second one unless it is less than 10Gb in size.

dth 16:27 15 Dec 03

thanks for the posts.

the second disc (120) will be split up into 3 - will these all be logical drives within an extnded partition or will the first part be a primary partition?

stlucia 16:28 15 Dec 03

With XP disk management utility you can change the drive letters later if you don't like the order Windows has put them into.

plankton 16:31 15 Dec 03

You even find it easier to install and partition if you get on to the manufacturer's site (Maxtor/Seagate/Western etc...) and download their installation software which guides you through the install and then the partitioning. It's a lot harder to make a mistake then.;o))

Diemmess 16:34 15 Dec 03

As one from pre-history who still uses 98SE, I would agree what you have in mind to split the 120gig disk into 3, and make the first partiton Primary and active. This wont have any particular effect with something like 98SE because this system will seize on drive C: for booting....and ignore the "active" F: ........... Having done it could be useful at some other time if you have to juggle HDs around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…