Adding a second hard-drive of 4Gb to an old 1gb.

Vender 15:44 31 Dec 03

I want to transfer a 4Gb hard drive complete with its contents from an old Pentium (type unknown) to another older Pentium (r) 75 MHz currently running only a 1.4 Gb Hard drive ...which is embarassingly full ! Can anyone tell me where to find the info. on how to do this , please?

hugh-265156 16:20 31 Dec 03

installing a hard drive is easy.just connect it to primary ide on the motherboard with the ide cable.make sure jumpers on the drive are set as master if its the only drive installed.

the trouble is the larger drive will contain all the drivers for the other computer and it may not boot the OS when attached to a different motherbard.

also the older computers bios may not be able to take a larger drive without a bios flash first.

see the videos on "Installing Storage Devices" and "Configuring Internal Storage Devices" click here

woodchip 16:32 31 Dec 03

This is not going to work no matter how you try it, as all the system settings and registry is for another computer. If you had a drive that was already bigger than 1.4 then it would not be a problem. The only thing that I can think of is will the small drive take your saved work docs etc. if it will transfer them. then remove the small drive and fit the new one as Master and format the drive and load OS and software then install the small drive as slave and copy your docs etc., back to the new one

Sheila-214876 16:45 31 Dec 03

You can't get a quart into a pint pot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…