Adding second hard disk

Farleyjim 19:32 12 Sep 03

Until recently I have been using windows 98SE with two hard disks. Having hit trouble trying to install XP upgrade, I disconnected my old C drive(with 98 on it) and reformatted and successfully loaded XP on the other drive. When I reconnected the 98 disc as a slave, although my computer bios recognised both hard drives correctly, XP failed to show the second hard drive. C drive with XP is 20Gbytes and the slave is 40 Gbytes. Any ideas please?

Regards

Jim Flux

dazzling (work) 19:37 12 Sep 03

did you load xp onto NTFS or FAT32?.are you wanting to dual boot between 98 and xp or are you going to format the slave.darren

R4 19:50 12 Sep 03

Could be a problem that your old C drive is a bootable dive that still has Win 98Se on it and does not recognise it (fat32 for Win 98)

Try reformatting the slave to the same as your xp drive.

R4 19:53 12 Sep 03

Could be a problem that your old C drive is a bootable drive that still has Win 98Se on it and xp does not recognise it. (fat32 for Win 98 Xp can be NTFS)

Try reformatting the slave to the same as your xp drive.

cream. 20:26 12 Sep 03

Try;

Go to start and right click my computer. Now scroll down to manage and open it.

On the new window, scroll down to disk management and open it. A window will appear on the bottom right. See if your slave drive is listed there. If it is then right click the drive and have it initialised and formatted.

hessajee 20:44 12 Sep 03

Hello!

As you have disconnected the HDD with a Windows 98 installed as a Master, it will not work as a Slave. You will have to take out the Windows XP hard drive, and put this hard drive back in as a Master. Then, copy any files you want to a CD-RW, (if you have one, or anything which you can save your work onto) then, format the Hard Drive.

Now, put in the Windows XP HDD and put it as Master, and the formatted one as Slave, and then see if it works. I have done this same mistake quite a few times, but I now know the solution and I can fix lots of PC's just like this.

If it still doesn't work, then write back.

Farleyjim 07:33 13 Sep 03

Thank you all for the responses. Before I did anything, I copied all my files to CD. That amounted to 6CDs(mostly photographs) but I was hoping to get away with leaving them on the old hard disk(New slave) and using it as a "photograph store" but it looks as though I must reformat the old disk and have to copy them back onto it. Must I reformat the disk?
The new master(with XP) was formatted to Fat32. Does this mean that formatting the old one must be Fat 32 also? If I wanted to have a dual boot system would that change things?
Many thanks

JIm

faintly curious 09:02 13 Sep 03

Hi Jim

If you want to dual-boot you need to install both OS/s to the same hard drive - Win98 first then install XP after it. You can then use the second hard drive (which must not have an OS on it) as a storage volume. You can use NTFS for XP and Fat32 for Win98 if you wish, although XP should be able to read the Win98 partition, Win98 will not be able to read the NTFS partition, so for true interoperability (great word that) you really want to use Fat32 for both systems. You can find info on how to do this here click here;EN-US;306559

faintly curious 09:03 13 Sep 03

Seems that part of the above link got broken - hopefully this one will work!

click here;EN-US;306559

faintly curious 09:05 13 Sep 03

Click on the link, and when the page loads do a search for article 306559!

bvw in bristol 09:16 13 Sep 03

click here should work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…