adding a second drive

baron bill 16:09 25 Nov 06

my old pc died, it has all my business files on it. Have bought new pc, and added the old drive into pc, windows xp has recoginaised it but i can't access it. Any ideas how to access the info on the old drive and transfer the required files to the new h/drive.

Technotiger 16:16 25 Nov 06

Have you added it on it's own ide cable or as a Slave to your main drive? Whichever way, check that you have set the jumpers correctly.

crosstrainer 16:17 25 Nov 06

Hi you need to use the computer management tools, located in control panel, admin tools. Open up the management tool and click on "disk management" see if your old drive appears here. Was the old drive formatted using ntfs or fat 32 file system? If you can see the drive in the disk tools window, then you need to activate it from there.... if windows cannot see the dribe from there, then you might need to check your cables, and jumper settings... ensure that your old drive is set to "slave" and ensure that all cables are secure and try again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 25 Nov 06

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac