Adding a second bootable SATA drive with XP

Logov 11:00 08 Mar 09

I've a desktop with XP home and a small SATA HDD. I also have an external drive connected for file storage. I'd like to add another internal drive but rather than use it for storage I'd like to have it bootable so that the family and I can use the same desktop but boot to different drives as too much of my work has been compromised (thats a diplomatic term in this case) over time. How easy/difficult is this going to be? Are there things I need to bear in mind when doing this or indeed, can I just plug the SATA drive in and load windows after checking the BIOS?

Thanks for your time.

howard64 11:21 08 Mar 09

in theory yes you can just install the drive and load it but you will probably need a boot manager prog to switch between op sys on startup.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:24 08 Mar 09

Can't have two bootable drives without physically swapping connetions at every boot up.

Can have an op system on two drives bt that you mean having a choice between either system at boot time and also require all programs to be reloaded on the new system very wasteful on space.

Far better to have one system with seperate accounts password protect your account, make other accounts restricted so they cannot install programs or delete your files.

Diemmess 11:24 08 Mar 09

A removable tray would answer your security problem

These are a framework which fits in the HD space and a tray into which you fit your HD.

You obviously need two trays one for each sacred or profane system.

It is then a simple matter to select the one you want and slide it into the bay before switching on.

Novatech were advertising these (SATA) a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't find the place today

The cost for two sets would be about £30.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…