Adding scanner through BIOS

tippucat 07:50 28 Aug 04

A few months ago my comp totally crashed leading to a friend kindly giving me a great deal of assistence in reformatting. I have no clue about these things. I did not add all my existing hardware at the time and now, alas, my friend is no longer available to assist.

I tried to re-install my scanner last evening. The power is OK, the USB port is connected so, that left the troubleshooter telling me I had to connect through the BIOS settings.:(

I had a look and I'm afraid it's all 'Greek' to me. That's even if I'm looking in the right place. I vaguely remembered the F12 button on the booting screen and it takes me into the inner gubbins of the comp. From there I'm lost.

I do not appear to have a setting that says simply: 'install hardware'.

I operate XP Home and my comp is a Dell 8700 (I think).

If anyone knows what on earth I am going on about and can point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful. In advance,....thanks.

goonerbill © ® 08:37 28 Aug 04

if your scanner is a canon, you install the drivers first and then connect the scanner to the pc's usb port. if yours is a canon remove the software, reboot after removing usb cable to the scanner and then re-install software and then reconnect the scanner.

have a look on your scanners software cd and it may have installation instructions on there. sorry i cant be of more help.

you dont need to go into the bios to set up a scanner unless its a parallel port on that passes through your printer but as you say, its usb.

tippucat 14:05 28 Aug 04

I'm sorry. Should have said the scanner is a Visionnaire.

I have re-enstalled with the disc. No problem there. The message I get is:USB setting is enable in BIOS.

Thanks again.

pj123 14:09 28 Aug 04

What computer do you have and what operating system?

tippucat 16:36 28 Aug 04

As noted: XP Home and Dell 8700.

goonerbill © ® 00:09 29 Aug 04

it sounds as if maybe your USB ports are not active. what you need to do is install the drivers from the motherboard's CD if not already done or go into the bios and ensure that USB support is enabled in there.

tippucat 00:58 29 Aug 04

And that's where I'm stuffed as I don't know how. Anything to do with the 'inner workings' is beyond me. Thanks for your responses but I shall live my life without a scanner....:(

THE TERMINATOR 02:51 29 Aug 04

Have you tried the scanner in any other USB port, and do you have any other USB peripheral that you can "borrow" it's cable(in case the other is faulty)? USB peripherals don't need enabling in the BIOS(at least mine didn't)....TT

tippucat 09:22 29 Aug 04

The scanner was perfectly functional up to the point where my comp suffered it's fatal exception error leading to a total crash and subsequent reformatting and full reinstallation of XP. The scanner has sat for the last 5 months unused until I needed it. I thought it would be a simple matter of re-installing the scanner from the disc but I have hit this problem. I shall have a further fiddle about with it and see if swapping USB ports brings any success.

Again, thanks everyone.

goonerbill © ® 09:38 29 Aug 04

THE TERMINATOR is correct, that USB devices dont need enabling in the bios but USB may have been disabled accidentally by your friend. ( only try the following if you are confident in the bios )it may be strange to you but not knowing your mobo make its a bit hard to point you in the right direction, so look in all the menus and look for anything for USB and ensure that they have enable next to them except USB keyboard/mouse unless you have them, can be set to disable unless you wish to leave them if enabled. if you make any changes make sure that when you exit that you save the settings. if you think you may have dont something wrong, exit and dont save the changes and everything will go back to original settings. bios will have instructions on what keys to use to make any changes and how to save or not. if you have your mobo manual have a read of that before entering the bios.

something else you can look at in windows is the settings.
click start, control panel, performance and maintenance, system, hardware, device manager and scroll to the bottom and look at universial serial bus controllers. is there anything that has a symbol of any sort over a USB icon. if there is right click and select update driver and put your mobo cd in the drive and follow the update driver instructions.

before you do the above you could install everest ( formally aida32 ) and use it to get the latest drivers for your mobo, download ( save in a new easy to find folder ( call it drivers maybe) and then do the above in control panel.

everest available from here click here

if you need any more help, i or any of the other knowledgeable people on this site will be more than happy to help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:37 29 Aug 04

to set up your BIOS have a read here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017