adding SATA drive beside an IDE boot drive

silliw 18:16 08 Jan 05

I would like to add a 160G SATA drive to my system for video editing and storage only. I have an ASUS A7v8X motherboard with onboard SATA connectors. My boot drive is a standard 80G IDE drive and i will keep this as my master boot drive. Will there be any problem mixing IDE and SATA drives within the same system?

smiddy 18:31 08 Jan 05

there sould be no problem at all with this.

mrdsgs 19:48 08 Jan 05

none at all

i have both ide raid drives\and sata raid drives and ascsi drive, therefore 5 in total and no conflicts.

just make sure in bios that you set the boot order to be ide before sata.

mrdsgs

mattyc_92 20:09 08 Jan 05

as mrdsgs said there wont be any "conflicts" at all... I have recently upgraded my hard-disk from a "Maxtar 30gb IDE drive" to a "Seagate 160gb SATA drive" and kept my old drive for extra storage and backups of the new drive and there aren't NO CONFLICTS at all.... :)

GRFT 07:33 09 Jan 05

I have the same mother board and had no problem mixing SATA and IDE, and I use the SATA as the boot drive, but the IDE can be used as well.

keith-236785 09:50 09 Jan 05

i have an asrock mobo and have the same sort of setup, IDE 80 gig as boot and SATA 80gig as storage, IDE drive dual boots linux and xp.

all that was needed for me was the sata driver files copying from the motherboard cd to a floppy disk, then on install of xp, press F6 to setup raid or scsi drivers, load the drivers and away you go.

i don't know about adding a sata drive to an existing windowsxp setup though.

sounds like it wont be a problem but have a look on the mobo cd for instructions (read me file or similar) in the sata section.

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…