adding safe mode to boot menu

coinneach 17:24 20 Feb 05

I'm running Win XP. How can I add a Safe Mode option to the boot menu? I've done it before, but since then I've had to reinstall windows, so I lost it. I can't remember where I got the info!

coinneach

LastChip 19:50 20 Feb 05

Open the boot.ini file in a text editor. If you can't find this, it's probably because you have system files hidden and you need to un-hide them first.

Copy the line that refers to XP and ends in fastdetect and paste it into your boot file, now add the switch;

/SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL

at the end of that line, so the end of the line will look like this;

fastdetext /SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL

(note the space between fastdetect and the /SAFEBOOT, the colon next followed immediately by MINIMAL). Note; you should now have your original line ending in fastdetect and a new line ending in fastdetect /SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL Whilst you're in this file, edit the timeout= line to something sensible to give you time to think. This line equates to the time in seconds your boot screen will appear, so something like 20 or 30 seconds may be appropriate, "save as" boot.bak and exit.

You should also note that the text within the quotes "" is what appears on the boot screen, so you may wish to change "Windows XP" to Safe Mode or something.

You will now have two boot files, the original and the new. The reason for this, is if something has gone wrong, you can always change back to your original file.

Now rename your original file boot.old (this is the file you will reinstall if it all goes wrong) and rename your new file (boot.bak) to boot.ini

Shut down the machine and re-boot. You should now get a boot screen for the appropriate time you set on the timeout line to choose which boot-up option you require.

I am a little puzzled why you want to do this, as pressing F8 during boot-up will give you the same option.

coinneach 21:06 20 Feb 05

Thank you LastChip, that's fine.

There were 2 reasons why I wanted to do this. First, I often have difficulty when using F8. If I don't hit it in time (like being distracted briefly) the darned thing goes ahead and reboots! This fix gives you a few seconds to think about it.
The other thing is that if the system crashes, I could find that I can't boot up normally.

Thanks a lot anyway.

coinneach

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…