adding ram memory to desktop pc

pookie 22:23 PM 09 Jun 12

Hi,

Windows home premium 64 bit. I have a HP desktop with 3Gb ram it came with. I want to add more ram as will be doing some data mining analysis. I have 4 memory slots with a 2gb in one and a 1Gb in the other (it came this way). The Crucial Memory scanner says the pc will support up to 16Gb ram. As 8Gb (2 x 4Gb) is only £30 from them their scanner recommends I put the two new ram sticks in the empty 3 and 4 memory slots. As they are the larger memory sticks should they not going in slot 1 and 2 with the 2Gb in 3 and 1Gb in 4?

I know 11Gb ram is way too much for my needs but it's relatively cheap and should future proof it abit.

Thanks

dangerusone 00:41 AM 10 Jun 12

Hi Pookie I think I may have a similar HP to you, mine came with 3GB Ram. I did the Crucial scan then bought two suitable 2GB from eBay very cheap (much cheaper than Crucial) which I just put in the spare two slots. Worked OK for me. They were recognized straight away. Hope this helps

dangerusone 00:45 AM 10 Jun 12

Hi Pookie I think I may have a similar HP to you, mine came with 3GB Ram. I did the Crucial scan then bought two suitable 2GB from eBay very cheap (much cheaper than Crucial) which I just put in the spare two slots making 7GB total. Worked OK for me. They were recognized straight away. Hope this helps

pookie 09:51 AM 10 Jun 12

Perfect - thank you!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites