Adding RAM

SolvaCollective 12:05 08 Jan 03
  SolvaCollective 12:05 08 Jan 03

Hello how do you go about adding RAM to your PC is it complicated? I have a DELL Optiplex G1

recap 12:21 08 Jan 03

SolvaCollective, it's easier than you think.

Turn off your system, keep the plug in the wall, rub your hands over the tower casing to earth yourself. Now open the back of your tower up, look for your existing memory sticks, there may only be one in there. Take the new stick and place it in the next available slot. A few things of note here though, 1) never touch the gold connection side of the memory stick 2) make sure you hear a firm click when inserting the stick 3) alway place the high spec memory stick in the first slot 4) make sure you insert the stick the correct way round.

SolvaCollective 12:56 08 Jan 03

Ok If the new stick is of higher spec than the current one should I swap them around?.And What does a memory stick look like cheers.

recap 13:10 08 Jan 03

Yes SolvaCollective switch them around. click here and you can see what a memory stcik will look like.

recap 13:15 08 Jan 03

Sorry SolvaCollective not a good link to view a memory module, click here and you will see a much better photo of one.

SolvaCollective 16:41 29 Apr 03

How many can you put at once? As I wanted to add 2 64mb sticks at once.

mrdsgs 16:50 29 Apr 03

depends on your motherboard basically.

I've got 2, each of 512mb in one of my pcs.

most pc's have 2, 3 or 4 memory slots.

after inserting the memory modules make sure the retaining clips spring back up to the closed position.

STEVE71163 16:50 29 Apr 03

Can i just add that if you leave the plug in the socket please make sure to have the switch turned off. Sorry to state the obvious! :0)

VoG™ 17:22 29 Apr 03

Get click here - it will tell you what motherboard you have and what ram slots are free.

Then go to click here and enter your motherboard details to get a list of compatible ram.

hugh-265156 17:33 29 Apr 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…