Adding printer to network?

aca 21:37 30 Aug 07

My current set up is:

An adsl/modem with 2 desktop PCs connected to it via wire. One PC has printer connected to it. The printer works great over this network with both PCs.

I have new laptop which I can connect to this network wirelesly via plugging a usb dongle into either desktop. Everything connects great (internet/and my new employers VPN.

I want to connect the laptop wirelessly and use the printer. When I use the Find Printer (sorry its XP Pro) wizard despite putting the right path and name of printer it cant see it.

The printer is set to be shared. Everything looks ok in sharing options?

So is it because the laptop is connected to VPN that it looks in that direction for printers (and sees them ok!)

Or could it be a firewall issue?

Help greatly appreciated.

recap 21:42 30 Aug 07

It could be the Firewall?

You could also try connecting to it via the desktop PC that it is connected to. Navigate through My Networkplaces to the Desktop PC, you should be able to find the Printer there, right click the Printer and select 'Connect'. Note though the PC should be turned on when the Printer is required on the laptop.

aca 21:54 30 Aug 07

recap

tried navigating through network places on the laptop but all it sees is the stuff on my work MSoft network.

may have confused things. The printer is connected to one of the desktops via USB. But cant get laptop to see PC despite fact that it is using it to connect to broadband.

Other thing is that the I have got the USB dongle to work by bridging the wireless connection to the ADSL wired connection. So would the address of the printer be different to the standard \\pcname\printername
?

aca 21:56 30 Aug 07

The plot thickens on the desktop with dongle in the work network is visible in network places

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…