Adding A Printer Directly To The Router

jimforrest 15:42 03 May 14
Answered

Hi, I have a Samsung Laptop running Win7 Home Premium SP1. I have an HP Printer F300 connected to the network via a USB cable to a desktop computer which is hard-wired to the wireless Router (an old Freeserve/Wannadoo unit). The desktop is ancient now and I want to remove it - but the printer isn't wireless.

I can connect the printer via USB direct to the Router, but when I do my wireless laptop can't 'see' it - no matter what I do. Does anyone have any idea whether it can be done?

onthelimit1 15:59 03 May 14

Not 100%, but pretty sure that the printer has to be connected to a computer that's switched on to be accessible to other computers.

jimforrest 17:38 03 May 14

Oh dear - looks like I need a wireless printer then.

alanrwood 18:07 03 May 14

Depends on the router. How is the USB socket configured. You need to look up the router spec and what the USB socket can be used for. Most are to allow a 3/4G dongle to be connected as an internet back up so I am not hopeful.

Why not just connect the printer to the Laptop if you are getting rid of the desktop.

jimforrest 18:17 03 May 14

The printer is 20 feet away in a cupboard - so I'd have to run a cable across the room. One thought - I wonder if I can get a USB/wireless adapter?

Woolwell 18:47 03 May 14

USB wireless adaptor is unlikely to work connected to a printer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:56 03 May 14

make and model of router (Livebox?)

I have done what you want but using a hacked BT Home Hub 2a

jimforrest 08:34 04 May 14

The Router is a Wanadoo B8CO and is a good 8 years old or so now. A wireless printer is only about 30 quid or so - but the HP F300 is not very old and too good to just throw away.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:03 04 May 14

Can't find any info on that router does it have another nme or product number

(speedtouch?)

jimforrest 12:15 04 May 14

It's an Inventel (Version V5.10) Wanadoo B8CO Livebox 00:16:AE:45:B8:CO.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:05 04 May 14
Answer

So its a live box - click on my livebox link (in red) for instructions on how to connect a printer to the router USB port.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…