Adding people to Facebook

exdragon 18 Dec 11
Answered

Hi - when I log into Facebook, all of a sudden there are hundreds of people in the 'Add people you know' section. I only have four family members as my contacts, but these others are their friends and possibly friends of a friend.

How do I get rid of this list? They aren't people who have sent me a request to be their friend, as I can 'confirm or not now' them. With all the others, there's only one option - add a friend. I don't really want my granddaughters' ramblings of 'gunna get ratted 2nite'.

mobileman1953 18 Dec 11

click on x on top right of picture

exdragon 18 Dec 11

There isn't one. No. 1 is Accept your friend's request while No. 2 is Add people you know. Next to each of their pictures, it says +1 Add Friend.

Woolwell 18 Dec 11

It's irritating. I had hundreds appear and still have loads under find friends. If I wanted them as friends they would already be friends! I haven't found a way to get rid of it and searches on Google haven't helped. One list seemed to vanish after a while. Best to try to ignore and recognise that some features of Facebook are bad. What worries me is whether the privacy settings work and whether people can see me listed on their page. I'm there because of family not out of choice.

exdragon 18 Dec 11

Quite so, Woolwell. I'm only there so I can see pictures of my family, none of whom live in England. What seems odd is that the list only appeared yesterday - I don't think I did anything any different to what I've been doing over the past couple of years.

Yet another of life's little mysteries, I suppose.

Strawballs 18 Dec 11

The x will apear when you hover in the top right corner.

Woolwell 18 Dec 11

The top right corner of what? I don't get an x.

exdragon 18 Dec 11

Are we looking at different things? My other half set up an account and I selected 'Find Friends' at the top right of my screen. He was having trouble finding me, so I wanted to try from my account. As Woolwell, the pictures don't have an x.

The heading is 'Add personal contacts as friends' and then there's a list of half a dozen mail clients (btinternet, o2, Skype etc) followed by the photos.

Woolwell 18 Dec 11
Answer

Reading various Facebook forums I think that the X has been removed. There are literally hundreds of gripes about it.

exdragon 19 Dec 11

Huh - that's a nuisance. I must have done somthing wrong though, unless they changed it a couple of days ago! I'll leave this open just in case anyone has found a work round.

exdragon 19 Dec 11

Well, I don't know if it will help and it's going to take time, but if you click on the Find Friends button and then open someone's picture, you can block them by clicking on the Settings button (next to Add Friend and Message).

If you then want to 'unblock' anyone, you can do so by editing the Blocked People and Apps list in Privacy settings.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message